Common 12 Step Recovery Prayers And Quotes
You can also: Read Recovery Books Here – Watch Recovery Videos Here
1st Step Prayer
I admit that I am powerless over my addiction. I admit that my life is unmanageable when I try to control it. Help me this day to understand the true meaning of powerlessness. Remove from me all denial of addiction.
3rd Step Prayer – AA step 3 prayer
God, I offer myself to Thee – to build with me and do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love and Thy Way of Life. May I do Thy will always! – Pg. 63 AA Big Book 3rd step prayer
3rd Step Prayer – NA
Take my will & my life, Guide me in my recovery, Show me how to live. Pg. 26 NA Basic Text aa 3rd step prayer
7th Step Prayer – AA
My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that You now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do Your bidding. Amen – Pg. 76 AA Big Book 7th Step Prayer AA
Step 11 – AA
Suggests prayer and meditation. We shouldn’t be shy on this matter of prayer. AA morning prayer
- Morning – Before we begin our day, “we ask god to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives”. Pg. 86 AA Big Book
- Morning – In thinking about our day, “We ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or decision”. Pg. 86 AA Big Book 11th step prayer
- Morning- We usually conclude the period of mediation with a prayer that we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be, that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems. We especially ask for freedom from self-will, and are careful to make no requests for ourselves only We may ask for ourselves, however, if others will be helped. We are careful never to pray for our own selfish ends. Pg. 87 AA Big Book
- Evening – After mediation on the day just completed, “We ask God’s forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken”. Pg. 86 AA Big Book aa night prayer
- All Day As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. Pg. 87 – 88 AA Big Book
Step 12 – AA & NA
- Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick. The answers will come IF your own house is in order. Pg. 164 AA Big Book
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry it out. Pg.59 AA Big Book, Pg.49 NA Basic Text
Acceptance Prayer – AA & NA
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
The Recovery Prayer -NA
“We cannot change the nature of the addict or addiction. We can help to change the old lie “Once an addict, always an addict,” by striving to make recovery more available. God, help us to remember this difference.”AA morning meditation
The Literature Prayer – NA
“GOD, grant us knowledge that we may write according to Your Divine precepts. Instill in us a sense of Your purpose. Make us servants of Your will and grant us a bond of selflessness, that this may truly be Your work, not ours-in order that no addict, anywhere, need die from the horrors of addiction.”
The Just For Today Prayer – NA
- Just For Today my thoughts will be on my recovery, living and enjoying life without the use of drugs.
- Just For Today I will have faith in someone in N.A. who believes in me and wants to help me in my recovery.
- Just For Today I will have a program. I will try to follow it to the best of my ability.
- Just For Today through N.A. I will try to get a better perspective on my life.
- Just For Today I will be unafraid, my thoughts will be on my new associations, people who are not using and who have found a new way of life. So long as I follow that way, I have nothing to fear
The Trust Prayer – AA & NA
“Higher Power, I’ve learned to trust your guidance, yet I still have my own ideas about how I want to live my life. Let me share those ideas with you, and then let me clearly understand your will for me. In the end, let your will, not mine, be done.”
The Gratitude Prayer – NA
“I’ve recovered something I never had, something I never imagined possible: the life of a recovering addict. Thank you, Higher Power, in more than words can say.”
The Self-Acceptance Prayer – AA & NA
“Higher Power, help me live in accordance with spiritual principles. Only then can I approve of myself.”
The Acceptance Prayer – AA & NA serenity prayer
“Higher Power, grant me the wisdom to know the difference between what can be changed and what I must accept. Please help me gratefully accept the life I’ve been given.”
The Patience Prayer – AA & NA
“Higher Power, help me discover what’s most important in my life. Help me learn patience, so that I can devote my resources to the important things.”
St Francis Prayer – AA
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.
“O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.” Amen.
Let Gratitude Be Your Attitude
- Every day of your life is a gift from God.
- Don’t squander it.
- Don’t waste it by being angry with anyone.
- Don’t let it slip away by feeling sorry for yourself.
- Be grateful for this precious gift of life and spend it by being as happy and as thankful as you possibly can
- Let your mind dwell on the good things which have happened to you.
- Let gratitude be your attitude.
- Think of your assets, and don’t let anyone else spoil your day for you.
- Enjoy every day of your life to the fullest.
- Realize that you can add to the joy of each day by making someone else happy.
God, help me to accept other people as they are. Recognize my own feelings, meet my own needs and learn to love myself just as I am
One night I had a dream…
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and
Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of my life flashed before us, I looked back at the footprints in the sand. I noticed that many times along the path of my life, There was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life
This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it.
“Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
You would walk with me all the way;
But I have noticed that during the
most troublesome times in my life,
There is only one set of footprints.
I don’t understand why in times when I
needed you the most, you should leave me.
The Lord replied, “My precious, precious
child. I love you, and I would never,
never leave you during your times of
trial and suffering.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you.
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'”
If you or someone you know is in need of prayer, please visit our Prayer Request Page
become our prayer partner
saint francis prayer aa
AA morning prayer
AA morning meditation
11th step prayer aa
St Francis Prayer AA
7th Step Prayer AA
aa 3rd step prayer