Spiritual Principles Of Alcoholics Anonymous
The AA Principles & Virtues from the 12 Steps
Spiritual Principles (as found in the 12 &12)
Bill W. considered each step to be a spiritual principle in and of itself, however, particularly in the 12 & 12, he outlined the spiritual principles behind each step.The most important of these is Humility. 12 principles of aa
1. Honesty: Fairness and straight forwardness of conduct: adherence to the facts. gives us something positive to look for and move towards. Honesty is the ability to match up our insides with our outsides. It allows what we don’t care about to go away and what we really want to appear and develop in our lives.
2. Hope: To expect with desire; something on which hopes are centered to the things we cannot change through our own power is a way to get on with our lives. Hope gives us something positive to look for and move towards. We can admit our need for help as we begin to share in our common welfare.12 principles of aa
3. Faith: Complete confidence; belief and trust. Allows evasion and denial to give way to reality and peace. Faith is the evidence of our trust in God. True faith is the result of surrender coupled with experience that God can and will do for us if we ask for help.
4. Courage: Firmness of mind and will in the face of extreme difficulty; mental or moral strength to withstand fear.spiritual principles of aa
5. Integrity:The quality or state of being complete or undivided; soundness.
12 spiritual principles of aa
6. Willingness: Prompt to act or respond; accepted and done of choice or without reluctance. To try is the beginning of doing our part. Willingness to try is the beginning of doing our part. However grand or humble that might be, it is a state of readiness replacing depression and anxiety
spiritual principles of aa
7. Humility: Not proud or haughty; not arrogant or assertive; a clear and concise understanding of what we are, followed by a sincere desire to become what we can be. Humility is the evidence of our trust in God. aa spiritual principles
8. Brotherly Love: Unselfish concern that freely accepts another in loyalty and seeks his good to hold dear. It is knowing the other person has the same spirit in them as us and being curious about what that spirit is trying to do.
9. Discipline: Training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character; to bring under control; to train or develop by instruction. Justice is taking time for things to move into place without force or breakage.12 principles of aa
10. Perseverance : Steadfast despite opposition or adversity; able or willing to bear; to persist in an understanding in spite of counter influences. It is knowing the importance of doing our part well and being open to the many forms of help required for a full and abundant life.
spiritual principles of aa
11. Spirituality: Alive and alert; vigilance in observing is given where we sense our spirit in another human being. We seek a Higher Power of our own understanding and that becomes our ultimate guide and source of strength.aa principles
12. Service: A helpful act; contribution to the welfare of others; useful labor that does not produce a tangible commodity. It is the active and passive forms of love that keeps us alive and allowing God to use us as instruments.
Principles Of Alcoholics Anonymous
“Alcoholics Anonymous is not a religious organization and does not mandate any particular belief system. It does teach basic spiritual principles such as honesty, open mindedness, faith, willingness, and humility that may be applied in everyday life. The specific practical application of spiritual principles is determined by each individual. Recovery in AA is not a miracle cure that happens within a given period of time. It is a process, ongoing and personal. Members make an individual decision to join and recover at their own pace.spiritual principles of AA